Just beyond the quaint downtown streets of Honeoye Falls, CB Craft Brewers – or CB as you’ve seen on their recognizable logo – is housed in a big, cream and red barn. The location is home to a tasting room (L-shaped bar), store with branded merchandise and varieties of beer to grab-and-go, and The Pint & Goblet Tavern – which was not open when the DFLX team visited.
However, the team did indulge in the standard tasting run of six samples, and of course opted for the option to get (and keep) the souvenir flight glass during our visit. There was friendly banter among the team, and the bartender, throughout the decision-making process – as choosing just six to taste from a list of 26 beers on tap was no easy task. At least there weren’t all 126 flavors and styles that they brewed (for themselves and on contract) in 2016! Nonetheless, one DFLX team member tried the following six beers and recorded their thoughts in our traditional scale of one to five (lowest to highest score), and we include the tasting notes and descriptions from the brewery guide.
CB Craft – CB Georgia Peach Beer: 4/5
- Fruit beer from CB’s own brand, and at only 5 percent ABV it’s one you COULD drink multiple of, but may not choose to do so
CB Craft – Hose 22 Amber: 3.5/5
- This Red Ale, American Amber beer is part of the private label brews that CB produces for area bars and restaurants
CB Craft – CB Brewer’s Whim Munich Dunkel Lager: 4.5/5
- Just as the name suggests, a Lager, Dunkel Munich style from CB’s own brand
Twisted Rail Switchmens Session: 2/5
- A contract beer for Twisted Rail, as they build capacity to brew on a larger scale. This Session IPA is uniquely Twisted Rail’s but missed the mark for this team member
CB Craft 96.5 WCMF Bitch Voice IPA: 4.5/5
- A private label brew for Rochester’s classic rock radio station WCMF, this American IPA brew not only has a memorable name but is delicious too. As their tasting card said, “a bright, amber-colored American IPA designed for the everyday working class men and women of Rochester.”
CB Craft – CB Caged Alpha Monkey IPA: 4/5
- Another of CB’s own brand of beer, of the American IPA variety. At 6.5 percent ABV, it packs a small punch, above the belt of course
One thing that makes CB different from other breweries, particularly in the Finger Lakes region, is they not only brew their own varieties to sell under their name, but are also “contracted” by other DFLX favorites like Lock 32 in Pittsford and Twisted Rail in Canandaigua to create brews for them.
300 Village Square Blvd.
Honeoye Falls, NY 14472
Tasting room hours: Monday through Wednesday noon to 8:00pm; Thursday and Friday noon to 10:00pm; Saturday 10:00am to 10:00pm; and Sunday, 11:00am to 6:00pm
The Pint & Goblet restaurant is open: Thursday 5:00pm to 9:30pm; Friday noon to 9:30pm; Saturday noon to 9:30pm; and Sunday 11:00am to 5:30pm